- half A4 size drawing sheet
- colour pencils
- black marker
Manga consist of comics and print cartoons in the Japanese language and conforming to the style developed in Japan in the late 19th century. In their modern form, manga date from shortly after World War II but they have a long, complex pre-history in earlier Japanese art.
The name comes from 'uncontrolled or random brushstrokes'. This refers to the loose style of drawing. Anime is the term used for manga style cartoon films. Ask students some examples of anime films. They probably know Pokemon and Dragonball Z. Show them some manga style drawings, there are lots of them on the internet. Discuss the remarkable things about manga:
- the characters tend to be slim and attractive
- in the comics for kids, the characters have large expressive eyes
- nose and mouth often consist of a smooth line
- the hair colours are striking and often unnatural
- the heads are large in proportion to body
Students draw their own head and shoulders in manga style. Colour with coloured pencil, outline with black marker.